Monday, May 31, 2010

Images of Appreciation!

Remembering the past exploits of our war heroes is unpleasant because it’s attached to a past or present war, but we belittle those who served and sacrifices so much when we don’t remember, especially those who are serving us so unselfishly now. America’s attention span is sometimes short and often takes for granted the very things we should cherish most; Our Freedom!

My friend Alan posted a picture of his grandfather who served in World War II and I was quickly reminded of the impact war had on my family. Pictures always have a way of telling a story, even when those in them are not present to share their own story.

In the mist of the Cuban revolution and the disparity of living in a totalitarian system, my dad’s sister married a World War II veteran and because of that union my family was granted asylum years later. America became a refuge for my family. No one who has ever lived under a totalitarian system could understand the value of freedom or comprehend the cost many heroes have paid and are paying to afford us the many rights we often take for granted. Living in freedom is a gift; not an entitlement!

When the time came for my family to leave Cuba, the new regime of government inspectors came to our home and inventoried every item in it. The few items my parents held sacred became the property of the new Communist government and everything they owned, from pictures and mementoes would never be passed on to other generations. Despite the persecution they experienced daily by those who had embraced the new mindset, their courage and determination allowed them to endure and stay focused while they waited for permission to leave. As my mother and father ventured out into the unknown to provide their five children an opportunity to live the America dream; my mother hid a picture of her wedding day and it serves as the only reminder of a past my siblings and I have only heard through stories.

They were willing to face the uncertainties of life in a country where they knew nothing of the language and little of the culture. Their focus was providing a new life for their children in a place where they could live in freedom and allow their children to grow up loving a country that had become their own. Once they left Cuba, they never thought, the impact of the revolution would stop them from seeing many family members again. My siblings and I know of these family members because of stories, but they are stories without imagines.

I was a year old when my family arrived from Cuba; my history and knowing where I came from has always been a passion. As I grew up, I was mesmerized reading history books and actually reading stories where images were included. Reading about Americans who gave their lives in World War I & II and other wars, in defense of the Nation's integrity, honor and tranquility was always humbling to me. I remember the first time; I visited the Tomb of America's Unknown Soldiers and the emotional symbolism it represented. There were no images or stories attached, “they were American Soldiers, known only to God.” No one knows who they were; no one knows their story; all that is known is that they sacrifice so much for the benefit of others.

The Espinosa family will always be grateful to the United States for providing us an opportunity to start a new life living in freedom. Although I was only one when my family arrived from Cuba; I am and always will be an American. I’m not a hyphenated American. This doesn’t negate my love for my roots, culture and all my family who still lives under an oppressed government. There are families and friends from diverse backgrounds and different parts of the country who have been affected by a war of some kind. As you reflect on these impacts make sure you cherish the pictures and stories attached to them.

I want to thank my Uncle Benjamin Palacios and Alan’s grandfather Robert Ellison Wheeler, both World War II veterans for their willingness to serve. I would also be remise if I didn’t thank my aunt Obdulia for marrying uncle Ben and to my Mom and Dad for unselfishly allowing me to live the journey of a lifetime!


OE

2 comments:

  1. We often take our freedom in the US for granted and thanks to stories like this one we are reminded of all of our blessings. It's great to wake up in our comfortable beds just to see a room full of items that hold a unique story of our lives which unfortunately not everyone, as I read in this article, are fortunate to have.

    I also would like to thank Benjamin Palacios and Robert Ellison Wheeler for their sacrifice because not doing what they did wouldn't I have met an amazing man who once told me that I had a gift and to never apologize for it. Love u Orlando!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Landy, this touched me so much because I too have a passion to know more about our past and I thank your for taking the time to inform us. It reminded me of how our father fought in Cuba against the government that has hurt so many for years. He too is our hero, having fought in a vicious war for not only our own freedom but for our Island's freedom as well. Then, when we came to this country in search for the freedom that we did not receive in Cuba, he was forced to change his name in order to hide his identity and once he became and American citizen, he was given the freedom to change his name to the one his parents had given him. I would love it if you have any information about this to post it so our children and their children would know what a great father we have.

    Love you sister Mayda

    ReplyDelete